The RISE Program is an enrichment program that is designed to challenge high achieving students in Grades 3-5. The goals of the program are as follows:
· To help students develop a deeper understanding of the content that makes up the grade level curriculum.
· To engage students in complex ideas and experiences and to increase knowledge through investigation, research, and reflective inquiry.
· To provide students with authentic opportunities to explain, interpret, apply, shift perspective, empathize, and self-assess.
· To ensure that high achieving students can develop the skills and knowledge commensurate with their abilities and are necessary to be successful in the today’s world. Specifically, those skills and knowledge include digital age literacy, inventive thinking, effective communication, and problem solving.
· To offer a variety of opportunities for expression within an environment that is flexible and encourages risk-taking and divergent thinking.
Students were selected for the RISE Program based upon the results of the MAP Testing Program, Report Card grades, and teacher recommendation. The units, which are designed to extend and enrich units that are covered in each Grade, include the following:
· Geography’s influence on where and how people live
· The importance of math and science in solving current problems
· Study of China, Australia, and Mexico, compared to the United States
· Revolutionary War’s impact on New York State
· Geometry in everyday life
· U.S. Constitution
· Civil Rights Movement
· Effect of human footprint on the ecosystem