Special Education & PPS

Special Education 

It is the goal of the Hicksville Public Schools to provide each student with "free" and appropriate public education in the least-restrictive environment. To meet the special educational needs of children with disabilities, the district provides a full continuum including support services, resource rooms, and special classes designed to meet the individual youngster's capabilities and learning styles. The network of teaching and support staff is aimed at encouraging students to work and learn with their nondisabled peers to the maximum extent possible. In some cases, the severity of the disability may require placement in special classes or schools operated by the Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) or in other private schools. However, no placement is made without the approval of the Committee on Special Education and the child's parent.

If your child is of preschool age, diagnostic and remedial services and programs are available through the district. If you believe that your child (from birth through age 21) may have a disability, you are urged to call the Office of Special Education at 733-2160.

Professional development is planned throughout the year in order to maintain high educational standards for all students.

Pupil Personnel Services

Pupil Personnel Services are provided district-wide. Students have access to psychological services, social work services, health services, guidance and counseling services, student support services, health services and non-mandated related services. Students are provided with these services in the school setting in order to meet their individual needs. Crisis intervention teams, comprised of district professionals, are available to assist with emergency issues affecting children. These support services are offered at each school based on student need and staff recommendations.

For more information:

At the elementary school level, contact the school building psychologist. At the middle school and at the high school, contact your child's guidance counselor. Also, please refer to the areas in Pupil Personnel Services which provide detailed descriptions of each support service.

Contact Flow Chart for Special Education Assistance